Sunday 6 February 2011

Key Lime Pie

I've been wanting to make some kind of lime tart for a couple of weeks and finally got round to it yesterday. I have to say, it was delicious, I think it's the tastiest raw dish I've made so far. I've already eaten half the pie! I first started thinking about it at a raw food potluck meetup at Heleana's place a couple of weeks ago, where one of the guests brought her lime pie and was kind enough to provide the recipe later. I then found a different recipe in Raw Food Made Easy For 1 or 2 People, Jennifer Cornbleet's book which also sounded good. So in the end, I took the best bits out of each recipe, changed some things, added some new twists of my own and came up with this recipe. If you only make one raw dessert, make this, it's amazing, you would never know it was raw, and actually healthy! It tastes indulgent, rich, sharp and sweet, and the crunchy base is a great contrast to the smooth zestiness of the lime mousse.
Base:
1/2 cup macademia nuts
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup medjool dates
1 capful natural vanilla extract

Put it all the food processor and mix together until nuts are coursely ground (it's nice if they're still a bit chunky) and the mixture is starting to stick together.
Press it down firmly in a flan dish and put it in the freezer or fridge to chill while you're making the filling.

Lime mousse:
1 1/2 cups mashed avocado ( about three- I used two massive ones and one little one)
1/2 cup sweetener of your choice (I used a combo of half raw honey and half agave nectar)
Fresh lime juice- I started with 1/4 cup then upped it to almost 1/2 cup, but anywhere in between these amounts would be fine, depending on how sweet or tart you like it- taste it and see!)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 capful natural vanilla extract

Blend all this up until smooth, then pour it over the base, smooth over wit the back of a spoon and leave to set in the fridge for about an hour before serving.

I decorated it with some lime slices too. Then enjoy! x

No comments:

Post a Comment